Friday, August 6, 2010

Mark 12 of 12: Disciplined Contemplation (or Not, Rather)

Mark 12 is a Commitment to a Disciplined Contemplative Life. Momma always said, "write what you know." So for this reason I am not about to write a post about disciplined contemplation. I know very little about discipline. At Hyaets, we make room for disciplined contemplation at prayers four times a week. But for me, these times are usually spent watching the community's two toddlers run around the room. This is not to say that prayer time never fosters prayerful moments for me, just that there is not much discipline about those moments when they do come. I entered the summer a bad prayer person and I am leaving for home a bad prayer person. If you would like to read more about contemplative prayer in the terms of the New Monasticism, please read Jonathan Wilson-Hartgrove's beautiful essay on this ancient practice aimed at receiving the mind of Christ.

We're almost to the end of the road, I plan on checking in tomorrow when I get on the train and on posting some closing remarks on Monday.

Pax et bonum.

No comments:

Post a Comment